Premium feel no longer reserved for high-end beauty packaging
For a lot of cosmetics and personal care products the packaging is very important as it can help position a product, engage the consumer and convey the correct, or incorrect, message to the consumer.
It can also have an influence on how a product is formulated, so design is of utmost importance.
Airless packaging has seen big growth in premium skin care as demand increases to protect products from oxidisation.
“By having an anti-oxygen pack, it means the formulation can be changed and there is less need for preservatives which, in turn, helps make clean pack claims about a product too,” adds the market analyst.
In Europe, the premium trend in packaging has shifted from high-end beauty products to the idea that every pack tier can offer an element of luxury.
Research from packaging provider MWV revealed skin care consumers in France and the UK do not identify themselves or products by price point but by the sensorial experience of the five-step ritual: Cleanse, Moisturize & Hydrate, Renew & Brighten, Protect, and Beauty Base.
- Cleanse: This phase is characterized by feeling refreshed and cared for. A positive experience is fostered through packaging that can be operated with one hand, dispense the proper amount of product and prevent spills.
- Moisturize & Hydrate: This step is characterized by a feeling of pampering and indulgence. Women expect their products to be hygienic and backed with scientific assurance. Consumers are also looking for controlled dispensing and ease of storage.
- Renew & Brighten: This step is most commonly associated with anti-aging measures or whitening products. The experience is perceived to be luxurious and effective. Products for this step are expected to limit waste by allowing the consumer to use the last drop, control dispensing and have scientific efficacy.
- Protect: This is most common with women who live in areas of high sun exposure such as Brazil, and is often repeated throughout the day. This step is an important measure in hydrating and preventing sun damage. Products that serve this step should have a one handed operation, easy and controlled dispensing, and be portable for easy reapplication.
- Beauty Base: Women use foundations or BB/CC creams that provide an easy, protective and clean experience. Packaging should be clean and hygienic—especially in preventing residue buildup—and preferably portable and secure.