Sateera Biotech, a biotech company, has launched the Sateera Formulation, a wood vinegar-based Microbial Technology Formulation. Described on the company’s website as an ingredient that can help “maintain and enhance the human microbiome while effectively removing unwanted microorganisms, the innovative process begins with the pyrolysis of woods and leaves of Rhizophora apiculate, followed by the condensation of smoke to wood vinegar,” which is then “purified and added to personal care products.”
The formulation has multiple applications across various industries, including baby care, hair care, body and personal care, and skin care, and is available in spa products, soap bars, aerosols, sanitizers, and disinfectants.
The formulation works with the body’s natural microbiome to eliminate harmful bacteria while preserving beneficial natural microorganisms. Additionally, the formulation’s efficacy is backed by several clinical studies published in the Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, Agronomy – MDPI, and the International Journal of Molecular Sciences, among others.
To learn more about the Sateera Formulation, including the innovation’s impact on global cosmetics and personal beauty care product industries, overcoming challenges in the formulation’s development process, and how the formulation can solve some of the significant pain points currently facing these industries today, CosmeticsDesign interviewed Sateera Biotech’s Managing Director, Law Wei Gee.
CDU: What is the potential impact of the Sateera’s Formulation’s product innovation on the global cosmetics and personal beauty care product industries?
Law Wei Gee (LWG): Sateera’s innovative formulation products offer a sustainable and eco-friendly alternative to traditional cosmetic ingredients. As consumers become increasingly aware of the environmental impact of their choices, they are likely to demand more natural and sustainable products. Natural biotech products can meet this demand by providing ingredients that are produced in a more sustainable and environmentally friendly way.
Secondly, Sateera’s innovative formulation products can offer unique ingredients not currently available in traditional cosmetic products. For example, personal beauty care companies can produce this plant-based ingredient that has been genetically extended with Sateera formulation to enhance their cosmetic properties, such as improved hygiene or anti-infectious effects.
Thirdly, Sateera’s innovative formulation products can also offer increased safety and efficacy compared to traditional cosmetic ingredients. For example, personal beauty care companies can produce ingredients that are less likely to cause skin irritation or allergic reactions, which is a growing concern among consumers.
Overall, the potential impact of Sateera natural biotech’s product innovation on the cosmetics and personal beauty care product industries is significant. Sateera can offer a more sustainable, innovative, and safe alternative to traditional cosmetic ingredients, which is likely to appeal to a growing number of consumers looking for more natural and eco-friendly beauty products and international brands’ pledges to go GREEN.
CDU: How did Sateera’s innovative formulation develop, produce, and commercialize its recent breakthrough skin care formulation for cosmetic or personal beauty care product manufacturers?
LWG: The following steps have been taken to develop, produce, and commercialize the product:
1. Leverage the expertise and talents of skilled professionals: By tapping into the knowledge and skills of experts in relevant fields, Sateera benefits from their experience and guidance, which can help to avoid common pitfalls and make more informed decisions.
In addition, Sateera also benefits from the unique talents of our team members, who can contribute their specialized skills and perspectives to the company’s growth and development.
By nurturing a culture of collaboration and innovation, Sateera can tap into the creativity and energy of its team members, which can help to overcome challenges and achieve our goals.
Overall, leveraging the expertise and talents of professionals and team members can be a key factor in the success, helping Sateera to stay competitive, grow its business, and achieve its long-term vision.
2. Conduct market research: we conducted market research to identify potential brands and manufacturers interested in using the new skin care formulation. Using statistical data, Sateera identified the target market and the product’s unique selling points.
3. Secure funding: we are seeking funding to cover research and development, production, and marketing costs. Funding can be obtained through venture capital, angel investors, or crowdfunding.
4. Establish partnerships: we are actively seeking opportunities for collaboration and are open to exploring partnerships with other brands, companies, organizations, and individuals who share the values and vision. We are reaching out to potential partners through Innovative Technology submission, networking events, social media, or other channels, and being transparent about our goals and objectives for collaborating with those interested in using the new skin care formulation.
5. Obtain regulatory approval: we are setting up our lab facility and secured regulatory approval for the new skin care formulation.
6. Develop a prototype: we are also developing product prototypes for manufacturers to test and evaluate. These prototypes should be tested for safety, efficacy, and stability.
7. Launch and market the product: Once we are ready with the small quantity commercialization in the near term, we will launch and market the new skin care formulation to manufacturers and consumers. We have developed a marketing strategy highlighting the product’s unique selling points and targeting the intended audience.
Developing, producing, and commercializing a new skin care formulation requires careful planning, research, and execution. Sateera is open to collaborating with manufacturers, investors, and regulatory authorities to ensure the product’s success.
CDU: How does Sateera’s breakthrough skin care formulation work to address skin issues without impacting the delicate microbiome?
LWG: Current formulations for washing or bathing the human body contain antimicrobial substances which purportedly kill (bactericidal or fungicidal) or inactivate (bacteriostatic or fungistatic) almost all of the microorganisms present on the skin with 90 – 99% efficiency upon contact.
Sateera kills only microorganisms that cause skin and urinary tract infections but retains a substantial amount of beneficial microorganisms (Lactobacillus pentosus), which helps defend against attack by pathogenic microorganisms.
CDU: Were there any unique challenges that needed to be overcome to develop the latest breakthrough innovation, and if so, how were those challenges overcome?
LWG: Developing a breakthrough skin care formulation can be challenging, and unique challenges need to be overcome.
Here are some potential challenges that Sateera faced and overcame:
1. Research and development: Developing a breakthrough skin care formulation requires extensive research and development, which can be time-consuming and expensive. To overcome this challenge, Sateera collaborated with research institutions, universities, and experts in the field since 2015 till date. We continue to extend the collaboration in the R&D field with brands and manufacturers.
2. Ingredient sourcing: Finding high-quality and sustainable ingredients for the skin care formulation can be a challenge. Sateera works with suppliers and farmers to source ingredients and ensure that they are sustainably produced.
By working collaboratively with suppliers to improve their capabilities, businesses can benefit from more reliable, cost-effective, and high-quality raw materials, which can enhance our overall performance and competitiveness.
One way to build up the strength of raw material suppliers is to invest in our training and development, helping them acquire new skills, technologies, and processes to improve our efficiency and quality. This can include training on best practices in production, quality control, and safety, as well as supporting the adoption of new technologies and methods to enhance our performance.
Another way to build supplier strength is establishing long-term partnerships based on mutual trust and respect. By working closely with suppliers to understand our needs and challenges, businesses can identify opportunities to collaborate on innovation, cost-saving initiatives, and other areas of mutual benefit.
This can also foster greater transparency and communication, enhancing overall performance and reducing the risk of supply chain disruptions.
3. Formulation stability and progressive enhancement: The formulation should be stable and not break down over time. Sateera consistently tests the formulation for stability and makes adjustments to the formula as needed. Sateera has always continued its innovation by tapping into the latest technologies that can be a powerful way to create better-formulated products.
Sateera can optimize its product development process by leveraging cutting-edge tools and techniques, resulting in more innovative, high-quality, and cost-effective products.
Another way to leverage technology is by leveraging experienced field experts, advanced analytics, and machine learning algorithms to analyze data and gain insights into product performance and customer preferences. By using data-driven insights to optimize formulations, Sateera can create products that better meet the needs and expectations of our customers, which can enhance overall satisfaction and loyalty.
In addition, businesses can use automation technologies, such as robotics and artificial intelligence, to streamline production processes, reduce waste, and improve product consistency and quality.
Overall, by tapping into the latest technologies, Sateera can optimize our product development process and create better-formulated products that meet the needs and preferences of our customers while also improving efficiency, reducing costs, and staying competitive in a rapidly changing market.
4. Regulatory approval: The skin care formulation must comply with regulatory guidelines and standards, and we have obtained numerous laboratory results that have proven its effectiveness and safety.
5. Scalability: Producing the skin care formulation in large quantities can be challenging. Sateera is open to working with brands, manufacturers, and suppliers to scale up production and ensure product quality consistency.
6. Marketing: We market the skin care formulation to reach our target audience. We work with marketing agencies and influencers to develop a marketing strategy highlighting the product’s unique selling points.
Developing a breakthrough skin care formulation can be challenging, but with careful planning, research, and execution, these challenges can be overcome. Sateera shall collaborate with experts, suppliers, and regulatory authorities to ensure the success of the product.
CDU: What types of issues does the latest innovation solve for manufacturers and consumers of cosmetic or personal beauty care products?
LWG: Beneficial skin microorganisms, like lactic acid bacteria, are part of the human immune system’s first line of protection. Sateera-formulated personal care products would benefit from antimicrobial formulations that selectively eliminate pathogenic microorganisms while preserving beneficial microorganisms like lactic acid.
With wide extensibility under personal care products (E.g., intimate feminine wash, shower gel, soap, facial and cosmetic products, perfume, body lotion, hair shampoo and conditioner, hair grooming, ointment, antiseptics, and other skin and oral care products), Sateera has infinite possibility.