Part II: what are the trends within the category?
According to Sore, anti-pollution is increasingly a global concern, but Asia is still out in front in terms of how developed the consumer awareness is of the category there.
“I would say that it is in Asia where the consumer insight is the strongest. In China, the pollution is mainly composed by micro-particles in suspension in air: the more numerous they are, the more visible they are, and because of this, the population realizes it is leaving in a polluted environment.”
She notes that elsewhere, consumer focus can be on other issues related to pollution: “In other places, consumers will be more interested in the level of ozone. Composition of pollution is not the same everywhere in the world.”
Naturals in focus
One unifying global trend, though, is the demand for natural actives being seen everywhere in beauty, with anti-pollution no exception: “But all consumers want cosmetic products with natural active ingredients: 63% of UK consumers agree that modern lifestyle is damaging to skin.”
According to Sore, although Asia is still ahead on anti-pollution, the West is catching up: German, Spanish and French women aged 45-54 feel concern for environmental agents adversely affecting their appearance - a resounding 52% of French women, she notes.
Key trends: global round-up
Sore pulled out the major region-specific trends across the globe:
- China: the segment here is quite comprehensive, with international giants from Korea and Japan as well local Chinese brands active in the market. In terms of beauty positioning, Chinese products are relatively more focused on hydration and whitening claims.
- Japan: stands out on UV protection and brightening and hydration claims.
- South Korea: is relatively more active with natural/additive free and environment friendly packaging claims.
- Europe and North America: are more active with repair and strengthen claims, especially on brightening and anti-aging. Products also feature more antioxidants and vitamin fortified claims vs. products in other regions. Organic, free-from (e.g. parabens) and environmentally-friendly product claims are relatively higher in Europe
- LATAM and South(east) Asia: are more active in the cleanse and protect space. LATAM is more active on vitamin fortified claims. South(east) markets have relatively higher portion of male-targeted products.