Unilever further invests in the beauty device segment

By Michelle Yeomans

- Last updated on GMT

Unilever further invests in the beauty device segment

Related tags Investment

On the recent completion of an agreement with Syneron Medical to create a range of at-home beauty devices, it is clear Unilever has its sights set on dominating the segment.

The ‘Iluminage Beauty’ venture will leverage Unilever's global experience in the development and marketing of consumer beauty products and the Israel-based manufacturer's expertise in professional aesthetic device technology.

Under the terms of the agreement, the venture capital and private equity arm of Unilever will invest $25 (€18) million and will also sell and transfer its luxury beauty subsidiary 'Iluminage' whilst Syneron will sell its beauty subsidiary and related home-use businesses.

Unilever Ventures will hold 51% and Syneron will retain the remaining 49%.

On its' completion, Syneron Medical CEO, Shimon Eckhouse said; "We believe Iluminage Beauty is well positioned to gain share in the home beauty device market. The joint venture structure will allow us to focus on driving growth in our professional aesthetic business while also maximizing the value of our investment in our home-use business​."

Both parties expect the transaction to close before the end of the year, subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.

Unilever consistently investing in this segment

In early November we reported the personal care giant had ventured into the skin care device segment by investing a stake in French cosmetic brand ioma, whose expertise lies in analysing the condition of the skin and developing appropriate treatment devices to cater to the result.

That venture saw Unilever become a shareholder in the hope to accelerate its' growth internationally and benefit from new R&D prospects whilst also allowing the French brand to maintain complete autonomy regarding its business and development operations.

The market for skin care devices has become a great opportunity for growth for cosmetic brands of late. According to research firm Kline, double-digit growth in the market across the globe is only the beginning for a segment ready to take off.

"It's a large and growing phenomenon, with beauty devices offering multiple benefits a notable driving force,” ​analysts say.

In Europe, the market is being shaped by regional brands, such as the leader in permanent hair removal, Lumea, by the Dutch-based Phillips, and the anti-ageing device SQOOM by Germany's Schick Medical.

 

Related topics Business & Financial Skin Care

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

Calendula Cellular Elixir: Alchemy in a cell

Calendula Cellular Elixir: Alchemy in a cell

Content provided by Naolys | 24-Apr-2024 | Product Brochure

Get ready to experience a cellular evolution in skincare with InnerLift Calendula's advanced Plant Cell biotechnology.

See our latest innovations in personal care

See our latest innovations in personal care

Content provided by Covation Bio™ PDO | 02-Apr-2024 | White Paper

At CovationBio PDO, we’re helping the world achieve its sustainability goals by enabling better performing, better-for-the planet products across a range...

Collagen Reimagined, Discover Biodesigned Type XXI

Collagen Reimagined, Discover Biodesigned Type XXI

Content provided by Geltor | 20-Mar-2024 | Product Brochure

Collagen is the body’s most abundant protein and a mainstream ingredient for beauty. Type XXI collagen transcends a common protein into a powerful bioactive

Empowering natural barrier function for future-proof skin

Empowering natural barrier function for future-proof skin

Content provided by Lucas Meyer Cosmetics | 14-Mar-2024 | White Paper

Corneopeptyl™ is a new patented peptide biomimetic to the LCE6A protein, obtained by green chemistry-based synthesis. By mimicking the LCE6A protein activity,...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars

Podcast

Beauty 4.0 Podcast