Cognis ingredients approved for ‘contains organic ingredients’ standard

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Organic food, Cognis

Specialty chemical supplier Cognis has received approval for a number of its personal care ingredients by Quality Assurance International (QAI), for use with the NSF/ANSI 305 standard.

The US-based organisation has a ‘contains organic ingredients’ standard that can be used by personal care and cosmetics products that contain 70 per cent or more organic ingredients, as long as the other 30 per cent of ingredients comply with the requirements.

According to the company, by getting approval for 24 of its ingredients it has made it easier for formulators to gain final acceptance of their finished products.

Transparency is the key, when it comes to the green trend, Denise Petersen, marketing manager for Cognis North America said.

“Having information for our customers readily available makes it easier for them to make decisions that are in line with their values,”​ she said.

QAI approved products cover a wide range of uses including emulsifiers such as Eumulgin SG as well as moisturizing ingredient Lamesoft PO 65 and the surfactant Plantacare 818 UP.

NPA approval

This is not the first move Cognis has made into certification in the US; earlier this year the company gained approval from the Natural Products Association (NPA) of a further batch of its ingredients, bringing the total certified natural by the association up to 81.

The most recent NPA approved ingredients from the Cognis portfolio include Cetiol C5, an emollient that replaces silicone in skin, hair and body car formulations, together with Lipofructyl PI LS 9324, a skin care oil extracted from the French Mirabelle plum.

Related topics: Formulation & Science

Related news

Show more

Follow us

Featured Events

View more

Products

View more

Webinars